Monday, September 29, 2008

My First "argh" Planning Moment

It started last night around 10:30 - when I wondered, "hmmm....where are we sitting on the plane?" and so I checked. And found that they had me in 21C, Quinn in 21F, and Mike in 12E - read that again - Mike is in row twelve, we are in row twenty-one - and Quinn is NOT sitting next to anyone he knows. WTF? And of course I checked this at 10:30, right before I was about to go to bed. Big Mistake! First, I emailed Amy, "Where are you sitting? Can you believe this? What should I do?" Then, I went over to the disboards and posted my dilemma on the transportation portion of the discussion boards. Then, I tried to go to bed with positive thoughts, "Well, someone will trade seats with me - who wants to sit next to a 3 year old?" And Mike shot that down, "They don't have to switch with you, nothing is going to make them." Uh yeah, thanks Mike. So, I tried to fall asleep, which didn't really happen, and then I woke up around 2am with a horrible feeling in my tummy that didn't go away until an hour or so later and some Tums. This morning I called Disney, who I used as a travel agent, and was told, yup, those are your seats - and they said all I could do was show up early and check in and say we'd like to be together. And since I was at work all day - and don't have any "planning periods" I had to wait 'til lunch to check out what the wise people over at the disboards were saying - and then I got lots of good info. from someone over there. I came home ready to call United and tell them that it was WRONG that they had put a 3-year old by himself and see what they could do to fix it. If they were willing to do nothing, then I would ask to be upgraded to Economy Plus and then choose my seats with the 3 of us in a row (we didn't buy a seat for Liam). But, when I called United I spoke to a very nice lady who was laughing at the thought of a 3 year old sitting by himself as she said, "Oh, do not worry about this. I will add this note, 'traveling as family' and when you get your boarding passes they will do everything they can to seat you together. The airline attendants do NOT want a 3 year old sitting by himself - because he'll be running all over and possibly screaming or crying. They have seats open to use to move people around as needed." I talked with her about upgrading to economy plus - and she said I could do that - but to go through the website to view what seats are available and how much it would cost. There are lots of E+ seats available - and lots of 3 seats available together - and it would cost us $150 - which is exactly how much I saved by downgrading our parkhopper tickets to base tickets. So, I don't have to upgrade my tickets - I just have to remind them when we check in that we need to sit together. BUT, I can upgrade my tickets - get 5 more inches of space - and choose the seats.

3 comments:

MJ Tam said...

lol...love this blog!

Can you imagine if you actually sat your son that far from you! You can just imagine the person's face beside him. Then hand him his wipes, and diapers, and toys...LOL

Christie said...

My guess is Mr. Quinn is going to charm the pants off anyone he sits next to.

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Wow, well, good luck! I'm sure whomever would be sitting NEXT TO your 3yo will gladly make whatever swtiches necessary so they don't have to sit next to a possibly upset, unruly 3yo. I think it will turn out fine.