Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Walking Shoes

Three years ago I made a committment to walk about 32 miles in two days for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. During the training process for that it was highly recommended that I go to the Running Company in Naperville and have them find me a good pair of shoes for my feet and walking style. And so I did. And I loved it there - they looked at my old gym shoes for wear, watched me walk on a treadmill, looked at how my feet are when I stand, had me walk around and asked if there were any "hotspots" that I felt, taught me about lacing my shoes, and so much more. I walked out of there with a new pair of "running" shoes that felt so good to put on. I walked that charity walk and didn't get any blisters - I saw so many people at all the first aid stations treating some really nasty looking blisters. I remember when I was in that store I was very upfront with the fact that I do not run. And they were so friendly and said they get a lot of business from people doing charity walks or people going on vacations that will require lots of walking! ding! ding! ding!

This Saturday I had an entire "Me Day" planned - a massage, shopping at the Running Company, and then finally dinner with some friends. Mother Nature decided to make my "Me Day" a very rainy day, but regardless I accomplished all that I set out to. Sort of. After trying on about 7 different shoes and sizes and widths the lady at the Running Company and I decided that I needed basically the same shoe I walked in with (just the latest version). New Balance 768 - size 9.5, narrow. Except, they didn't have the narrow in stock and she really didn't want me to just take the regular, because, "look, see how tight I have the laces, and the shoes are still sliding back and forth." So - she said she'd order me a pair Monday morning. Tuesday morning I got a call from the Running Company and I couldn't believe my shoes were in. Well, they weren't. And they wouldn't be in in about a week as previously thought. Apparently the 768s are very popular and completely sold out - New Balance has some On A Ship. I was told my shoes would finally make it to the store no sooner than Oct. 8th. We leave Oct. 8th. I told the guy I might be coming in this weekend to find another pair that would work, but was so dissappointed. But then I searched online and ended up at Zappos - and found my shoes! And ordered one of the last three pairs left on there! God Bless the Internet - but now I have to call the store and tell them, thank you so much, but I won't be coming in to look for different shoes!

No comments: